Sunday, May 4, 2008

Stuff From the Weekend

Iron Man Opening

CNN: 'Iron Man' Makes Super-Strong Debut - So much for the collective wisdom that GTA IV would cut into Iron Man's opening. The movie made $104.2 million domestically. The article quotes one analyst as saying that this opening wasn't as strong as Spider-Man 3's opening one year ago, to which I would point to my previous statement less popular comic book hero + Robert Downey, Jr. + not a sequal = less strong opening than Spider-Man 3.

Kentucky Derby Wrap-Up


First, let me extend my condolences to the owner, trainer and jockey of Eight Belles. She ran a marvelous race, and her injury and subsequent euthanization was nothing short of a tragedy. Leg injuries to these beautiful and ultimately fragile animals are all too common and an unfortunate aspect of horse racing. The quick action of the veterinary personnel at Churchill Downs on Saturday to euthanize her in her condition deserves special commendation.

ESPN: Favorite Big Brown Dusts Field; Runner-Up Eight Belles Euthanized

As you can tell, I came close to correctly picking the Derby. Big Brown finished first, with Eight Belles a few lengths back and Denis of Cork filling out the trifecta eight lengths beyond her. As I noted previously, one of the bets I made was a Denis of Cork-Big Brown exacta box. Had Denis of Cork finished second instead of third, I would have won my bet. This is the closest I have ever come to correctly picking the Derby, so despite losing I'm rather happy with the result.

I must say, Big Brown's showing on Saturday was extremely impressive. He broke well from the 20th and last position, zoomed right to the front and stayed in second place behind Bob Black Jack - himself a swift horse - for most of the race before turning on the jets at the end. It compares quite favorably to Barbaro's run in 2006. He apparently managed to pull a 109 Beyer Figure for the race (for an explanation of Beyer Figures go here). It speaks well for his possible performance in the Preakness and the Belmont, especially since most of his best competitors will be skipping the Preakness. My best guess: Big Brown wins the Preakness in a walk, then loses the Belmont in a close race to one of Pyro, Colonel John, or Denis of Cork.

MSNBC: PETA Wants Eight Belles' Jockey Suspended - I have little to say about this widely reported and absurd suggestion that Gabriel Saez be suspended for his conduct on Saturday. Injuries such as these - as with Barbaro's injury in 2006 - can come so suddenly and with so little warning that there is ultimately nothing the jockey can do. From all accounts, it appears Saez leaped off as soon as he heard the "pop" and did his best to bring Eight Belles to a stop.

Look, I understand PETA's concern with horse racing. I understand that they consider the sport barbaric, and that the training, whipping, and injuries associated with the sport to be cruelty to animals. But to single out Saez for his actions on Saturday is incorrect and wrong.

Update: Slate explains why Eight Belles had to be put down on the track.

Cedric Benson Arrest

Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson was arrested on Sunday for boating while intoxicated (which I didn't even realize was a crime given the number of people I know who have done exactly that) and resisting arrest. I must admit that I am having difficulty separating my personal feelings about Benson as a running back with the fact that all of the details of his arrest are not yet in. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on his arrest in the absence of other information, but I still think we should trade him for 5 cents on the dollar.

No comments: